Get ready for Monday, February 24 with a few things to know about the day’s news from The Associated Press
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. WHERE DEATH TOLL FROM VIRUS DRAMATICALLY SURGED An Iranian lawmaker says the death toll from the new coronavirus in the city of Qom is 50, even as the Health Ministry insisted only 12 deaths have been recorded to date in the country.
2. WHERE NEW CASES OF NEW VIRUS CONTINUE TO SPIKE The Centers for Disease Control in South Korea reported more than 230 more cases; China reported more than 400 new cases and 150 more deaths.
3. TRUMP RECEIVES A COLORFUL WELCOME India poured on the pageantry with a joyful reception for the president that kicked off a whirlwind 36-hour visit meant to reaffirm U.S.-India ties., but there have been protests against Trump in Indian cities as well.
4. BERNIE SANDER’S 2016 MOVEMENT GETS NEW LIFE IN 2020 The Democratic presidential candidate’s team believe his strong stances on climate change, canceling student debt and providing universal health care would reignite strong support among young voters.
5. SHOCKING POLITICAL UPHEAVAL IN MALAYSIA Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad resigned while his political party quit the ruling alliance less than two years after his election victory.
6. WHAT ISRAEL’S PRIME MINISTER IS BANKING ON TO WIN ELECTION Benjamin Netanyahu hopes President Trump’s Mideast plan is key to ramping up support from influential West Bank settlers, but he has stumbled over his promises to quickly carry out annexation, sparking an outcry from settler leaders.
7. THIS AGENCY SKIRTS EVIL OF SLAVERY ON ANTEBELLUM PLANTATIONS The National Register of Historic Places says almost nothing about the enslaved people whose labor paid for ornate homes that today serve as wedding venues, bed-and-breakfast inns and private homes.
8. WHERE 1 IN 3 PEOPLE IS FACING HUNGER A study by the U.N. World Food Program says some Venezuelans are struggling to put enough food on the table to meet minimum nutrition requirements.
9. JUSSIE SMOLLETT DUE IN COURT The former “Empire” actor is facing a new set of charges alleging he lied to police about being targeted in a racist and homophobic attack in downtown Chicago last year.
10. LOS ANGELES TO HONOR KOBE, GIANNA BRYANT Thousands will gather in Staples Center Monday to say farewell to the basketball superstar and his 13-year-old daughter who died with seven others in a helicopter crash.