After more than 600,000 confirmed cases and at least 25,000 deaths caused by the coronavirus in the United States, Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott now apparently understand the importance of social distancing.
Following a report that the Dallas quarterback had as many as 30 people at his house for a Friday night gathering — which police said they could not confirm took place — Cowboys vice president Stephen Jones said the team spoke with its star players about following the strict guidelines being adhered to by millions and millions of Americans.
“Yes, we certainly have communicated with Dak and Zeke,” Jones said Tuesday on Dallas’ 105.3 The Fan. “I don’t think you’ll be seeing that anymore. And I think they’re certainly aware now of how sensitive these situations are. I don’t think you’ll be seeing that any more. They are certainly guys we have the utmost respect for. I certainly know they understand the sensitivity of the situation we’re in, it’s certainly very serious, and something we know — certainly know — they understand.”
Prescott admitted to having friends at his home in Prosper, Texas, but noted in a released statement to Pro Football Talk that less than 10 guests were in attendance. Elliott hasn’t made a public comment.
“I understand and accept that there are additional responsibilities and media scrutiny that come with being an NFL quarterback, but it is very frustrating and disappointing when people provide completely inaccurate information from anonymous sources, especially now,” Prescott said. “To set the record straight, I know that we all need to do our best to socially distance and like everyone else, I am continuing to adjust to what that requires, but the truth is that I was with fewer than 10 people for a home dinner — not a party — on Friday night.
“I am very sensitive to the challenges we are all facing and making sure to support the first responders and medical personnel and everyone else putting in long hours. We are all at a time when we need to keep educating ourselves about the importance of health and isolation during this pandemic, and I will continue to make sure to do my part by following the guidelines until we are approved to start returning to normal activities.”
Guests at Prescott’s house were in violation of Texas’ stay-at-home directive, in place through at least Apr 30. Governor Greg Abbott’s order reads:
“Every person in Texas, shall, except where necessary to provide or obtain essential services, minimize social gatherings and minimize in-person contact with people who are not in the same household.”
President Trump has also recommended that gatherings be limited to groups of 10 people.
The Cowboys slapped Prescott with the franchise tag last month, but have not yet signed the 26-year-old quarterback to the extension he seeks. Prescott and Elliott have also been spending time together working out, alongside former Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant.