Rudy Giuliani was reportedly “really hurt” that Fox News banned him from appearing on the network. He turned to Steve Bannon to elaborate on Friday, telling the former White House adviser that the ban is “outrageous.”
During the taping of his War Room podcast on Friday, Bannon asked Giuliani how the network could put him on “double-secret probation, particularly over 9/11” and also ban Giuliani’s son Andrew, who is running for governor of New York. “How does that work?” asked Bannon, who’s having a banner week of his own.
“There’s no reason to include Andrew,” Giuliani responded. “Gee, they do a pretty good separation between Hunter Biden and Joe Biden. It’s outrageous.”
After promising for months that the AZ audit would return Trump to the WH, the Dynamic Duo of Disinformation are not happy. Bannon: “These elections and these electors are going to be decertified – as sure as the turning of the earth.” Then Rudy cries about being banned by Fox. pic.twitter.com/p3U5Sla13U
— Ron Filipkowski (@RonFilipkowski) September 24, 2021
The news of Giuliani’s ban, which will last at least three months, was reported Friday morning by Politico. The story noted that Andrew Giuliani was also banned, which a Fox News spokesperson denied to Rolling Stone.
The story also claimed that Giuliani was scheduled to appear on Fox & Friends on the morning of 9/11, and that host Pete Hegseth called Giuliani the night before to inform him that he’d been cut from the show. Fox News denied this, as well, claiming that Giuliani was not scheduled to appear on Fox & Friends the morning of 9/11. Fox News did not, however, deny that Giuliani had been banned. They merely declined to comment.
The ban, network bookers have been told, comes “from the top,” per Politico’s sources. Giuliani and his lawyer did not respond to requests for comment.
So what finally got Rudy kicked off of Fox News after years of… erm… questionable behavior?
It appears that the bridge too far for Fox News was when Giuliani landed the channel in legal trouble. While working as Trump’s lawyer to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election, Giuliani pushed debunked claims about Dominion Voting Systems, accusing the company of being part of a broader effort to rig the election in Joe Biden’s favor. Trump’s legal team pushed claims that Dominion had ties to liberal mega-donors, as well as to communists in Venezuela. (These claims that already been debunked internally by the Trump campaign itself at the time that the legal team was making them.)
Dominion did not take kindly to these claims and is suing Giuliani for making them. But the company has also hit Fox News with a $1.6 billion defamation lawsuit. Politico notes that senior Trump aides have also had difficulty landing appearances on the network, as has Bernie Kerik, Giuliani’s former police commissioner. “I think this was another demonstration of Fox’s cowering to the far left,” he told Politico of the network’s decision to exclude Giuliani from its 9/11 coverage.
The ban is the latest embarrassment in a reputational nosedive for the former mayor of New York. Earlier this week, he was offering promotional codes for discounted pillows on his Twitter account.